Admission PhD programme 2021 NIT Silchar
Applications are invited for admission into Ph.D programme in the following departments with the various specializations and admission group as mentioned for the session July to Dec 2021. Civil Engineering , Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering ,Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering , Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics , Humanities and Social Sciences, Management Studies . PhD is short for Doctor of Philosophy. This is an academic or professional degree that, in most countries, qualifies the degree holder to teach their chosen subject at university level or to work in a specialized position in their chosen field.
Admission PhD programme 2021 NIT Silchar specialization details
Session July to Dec 2021
Civil Engineering :
- Hydrology, Water Resources Engineering, Optimization
- Sediment transport / River Mechanics.
- Environmental Engineering, Water & Wastewater Engineering.
- Shallow foundation, deep foundation, machine foundation,
soil dynamics, soil stabilization.
- Surface Water Hydrology, Sediment Transport, Climate
change, River Modeling.
- Dynamics of Soils and Foundations, Pile foundation and
Ground Improvement Techniques.
- Soft computing techniques and applications to hydrology &
- Climate Change impact on water resources.
- Transportation Engineering. (Traffic Engineering )
- Pavement Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering / Earthquake Engineering
- Vibro-acoustics, Structural Dynamics and vibration control, Active Structural Acoustic Control (ASAC)
- Environmental Engineering, Waste Management, Water and
- Intelligent building infrastructure for building energy
- Application of intelligent transportation for future Micro-gird
Mechanical Engineering :
Fluid Mechanics, Power Plant Engineering, Hydraulic Machines,
CFD, Entrepreneurship Development, System Design, Non Conventional Energy, Thermo-fluids, Mechanical System Design, Tribology, Mechanical Vibration, Composite materials, Smart Adhesives and their joining, Hybrid multiscale laminated composites Bio-composites Phase change materials and encapsulation technology, Functionalization Self-healing composite materials, Energy efficient building materials, Solar Thermal system, Heat Transfer, Energy storage, Nano-fuel, Robotics, Mechatronics, Mechanism, Tribology, Composite material, Lubrication, Surface Engineering, Welding, Corrosion, MEMS, Thin Films, Materials Science, Additive Manufacturing, Topology Optimization, Advanced manufacturing/ machining,
Computational Mechanics of smart structures, Additive manufacturing, Experimentation of composite structures, Damage Mechanics.
Electrical Engineering :
- Brainwaves analysis.
- Control systems, Image Processing
- VLSI and Image processing
- Power and Energy Systems, Renewable Energy Systems.
- Power Electronics Systems
- Biomedical Engineering, Socio-Psychological System theory.
- Control engineering.
- Biomedical Engineering and Signal Processing,
- Instrumentation, VLSI and image processing.
- Image processing.
- High Voltage Engineering and Testing
Electronics and Communication Engineering :
- Communication Systems:
Wireless Communication, Cognitive Radio Networks, UAV based Communication and networking in C-RAN, Resource Allocation in 5G, Energy Harvesting protocols, Network Slicing, Caching and Splitting of network function in 5G, Satellite Communications, Wireless Sensor Networks, Communication Systems, Millimeter Wave Communications, Digital Communication, Information Theory and Coding, Signals and System, Satellite Communication, Mobile Communication and Wireless Networks, Underwater Networks, Free Space Optical
Communications and Green Communications, Massive / Cooperative MIMO, NOMA, Power Line Communications, Smart Grid, IoT, Artificial Intelligence, Convex Optimization, 5G Networks, Next Generation Wireless Networks, UAV-assisted Networks, 5G Communication Techniques, Cooperative Communications), Soft Computing Techniques, Smart Grid Communications, Energy efficient, NOMA, MIMO-OFDM
Communications, IoT, Efficient scheduling of wireless resources, and various aspects of all other recent forms of communications, Physical Layer Security, Cooperative Communications, 5G Techniques, Optical Fibre Communication.
- Signal Processing:
Signal processing, Speech Processing, Image and Video Processing, Bio-medical Signal and Image Processing, Machine Learning, Soft Computing Techniques, Communication Engineering and the other areas related to Signal Processing, Multimedia authentication, Computer Vision, Medical Imaging, Neuroimaging, Pattern Recognition, Optimization Techniques, Signal Processing for Communication.
- RF System Design:
RF Energy Harvesting Systems, Dielectric Resonators and Applications, EBG and FSS Structures, Antennas for 5G Communications, Computational Intelligence Applications in Microwave and Millimeter Wave Engineering, Antenna Design, Metamaterial, WBAN, Flexible Antennas, Antenna Array Optimization, Resonators for RF Applications, Metamaterial Inspired Structures for Antenna Application, Soft Computing Techniques in WSNs, Wearable antenna, MIMO antenna, Metamaterial antenna, Machine Learning for Microwave & mm-Wave Devices, Microwave Imaging, RADAR Signal Processing, Metamaterials for mm-wave Structures, Active and Passive Microwave Devices, Microwave Imaging, Smart Antenna Systems, Cyber Security.
Semiconductor device and Modelling, MOS physics and modeling, Semiconductor Devices for RF & mm-wave applications, Micro/Nanoelectronics: Compact Modeling of HEMT; Nanotechnology: III-V Nanowire LED; Energy Harvesting: Perovskite Solar Photovoltaics; Renewable Energy, Li-Ion Battery, High-K based CMOS Logic and Non-Volatile Memory Devices (Charge Trap Flash Memories, Ferroelectric RAM and Resistive RAM), Negative Capacitance Transistors, 2D Materials, High mobility Group-IV Ge/GeSn based epitaxial
devices, Organic Electronic Devices and Photodetectors; deposition techniques, Thin Films and device
5. VLSI Design:
Digital VLSI design, Analog VLSI design, Analog and Mixed Style VLSI Design, Algorithms to VLSI Architectures, VLSI Testing and
verification, Synthesis of Nanoparticle and Application of Nanotechnology, MEMS/NEMS, Bio-MEMS, Optical MEMS,
MEMS Sensors, MEMS Energy Harvesting, Optimizations, VLSI Interconnects, Stretchable electronics, Photonic Integrated Circuits, Optoelectronic Devices, Biosensors. Power electronics, Embedded Systems.
6. MEMS Analysis
Computer Science and Engineering :
Natural Language Processing
Renewable Energy Prediction using Machine Learning for Electricity Market
Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering :
- Transdermal Drug delivery, Medical Electronic devices, Energy storage devices.
- Biomedical signal processing, machine learning algorithms, artificial intelligence, intelligent instrumentation for health monitoring.
- Signal processing, Condition monitoring and fault analysis using advanced signal processing techniques, Biomedical signal processing, Application of machine learning and artificial intelligence, Intelligent instrumentation
- Data and analytics in Control and Optimization of Process.
- Control systems; Renewable Energy system; Energy
storage (battery, supercapacitor, fuel cell); Battery
management system; Electric vehicle; Fractional order
- Digital ICs, modern semiconductor devices, solar cells,
- Control of Cyber Physical Systems, Network Control
Systems, Event-triggered Control, Sliding Mode Control,
Learning Based Control, Application areas: Biological systems, Robotics, etc., Modelling of Epidemics.
- Communication: UAV for 5G and beyond, IoT & IIoT
Communication, Vehicular: V2X communication, D2D,
mmWave 5G, Cognitive Radio, MIMO, etc., Image and
Signal Processing: Image Segmentation models for realtime and medical applications, Medical Imaging, Signal
Processing and its application in Biomedical and BCI, AI:
Machine Learning, Deep Learning and its applications in
Healthcare, Communication and Signal Processing.
- Control systems with application to robotics, Path planning
and trajectory tracking based controller design for
Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV), Formation
control of multiple robotic systems.
- Biomedical Instrumentation, Pain Measurement,
Automation for societal needs, Biomedical waste disposer
– sanitary napkin and condom, Design and development of
- Time Delay Systems, Robust & Adaptive Control, Lyapunov
Stability, Fractional Order Systems, Modeling of Dynamical
Systems, Linear and Nonlinear Multi-Dimensional Systems,
Biological Control System, Control of Renewable energy.
- Design and Development of Energy Harvesting Devices,
Design and Development of Sensors for Biomedical
Applications, Design and Development of Sensing Devices
for water quality and air quality monitoring, Design,
development and optimization of supercapacitors, Gassensors.
- Time Delay Systems, Robust & Adaptive Control, Lyapunov
Stability, Fractional Order Systems, Modeling of Dynamical
Systems, Control of Renewable energy.
- Application of Sensors & Transducers for Virtual Power
Synthesis of Nano catalysts and their applications in photochemical and Chemical transformation. Physical Chemistry, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Nano catalysts, Synthesis and characterization of inorganic nanostructured materials (microporous zeolitic and mesoporous materials, clays, layered doubled hydroxides LDHs, nano sized metals and metal oxides), as catalysts, sorbents or polymer reinforcing nano-additives. Nanomaterials, Greener methodologies for the production of noble metal and metal oxide nano-materials, nanocomposites, Application of nanomaterials in various organic transformations, photodegradation of industrially emerging pollutants and water treatment, waste-derived catalysts for various organic transformations and photodegradation of organic compounds, Adsorption/Interfacial Phenomenon Development of low-cost and synthetic nano-adsorbents for wastewater treatment, Waste plastics recycling, Coprocessing of petroleum vacuum residue with plastics and biomass, Cracking or pyrolysis of biomass Polymer composites and nano-composites, Polymers, Desulfurization, Solid waste Management. Organic Synthesis, Development of newer synthetic methodologies, Regio selective C-S coupling, Synthesis of O,N,S donor transition metal complexes, and their Biological and catalytic applications in organic transformations. Synthesis and Characterization of Nano-structured materials from solid-waste for various potential applications (Photocatalysis, Nano-electronics, Sensors etc.). Efficiently convert industrial wastes into high value silica- based materials. Renewable energy. Organic synthesis, Heterogeneous catalysis, Renewable energy. Studying the photophysical and photochemical processes of organic fluorophores in homogeneous and heterogeneous nvironments using fluorescence spectroscopy; protein-ligand? Unteraction. Transition metal complexes of nitrogen based heterocyclic ligands: Synthesis, properties and application
Semiconductor nanostructures, resistive memory devices.
Ferroelectric materials, multiferroics, structural phase
transition in oxide perovskites.
Crystal growth, nonlinear optics, nonlinear optical fibers,
Solar energy materials, solar photocatalysis, solar
Condensed matter physics theory, DFT study of perovskite
solar cell, topological insulators.
Experimental condensed matter physics, Energy storage
materials and devices, Nanoionics based resistive switching
Fuzzy set Theory, Convergence of Sequence spaces, Fuzzy
optimization, Fuzzy Topology, Eigenvalues problem, Integral
Equation, Integro-differential equation, Elastodynamics,
Complex Analysis, Approximation of Entire Functions,
Operations Research, Evolutionary Optimization, Multi
objective Optimization, Networking Optimization, Ordinary &
Partial Differential Equation, Fractional Calculus, Mathematical
Modelling, Computational Fluid Dynamics: Micro and Nano
Humanities and Social Sciences
- Human Resource
- Intellectual Property Rights.
Admission group for Admission PhD programme 2021 NIT Silchar
There are two Groups (A and B) of admission under Ph.D. Program all department
GROUP A: Ph.D. Program – Regular Category who may receive fellowship from the MoE / CSIR/UGC or any other recognized funding agency.
Fellowship: As per MoE / CSIR / UGC guidelines.
Research Fellowship is available to the scholars who are admitted to Ph.D. programmes in different departments
subject to the availability as stipulated by Ministry of Human Resources Development. The award and renewal of
the fellowship is as per the guidelines issued by MoE, from time to time.
In case of students, who secure a new job or otherwise wish to move outside the institute and end their doctoral
program prematurely, need to refund any scholarship received.
Eligibility for application in GROUP A for Admission PhD programme 2021 NIT Silchar
- Students for admission into Ph.D. Programs in Engineering Departments must satisfy one of the following
i) M.E./M.Tech. or equivalent with GATE / NET qualification in an appropriate area with a minimum
CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60% of marks). For SC/ST/PwD candidates, a minimum
CPI of 6.0 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (55% of marks).
ii) B.E./B.Tech. with an excellent academic record with valid GATE score and with a CPI of at least
8.0 (on 10 point scale) or equivalent (75% of marks). For graduates from IITs/NITs, the minimum CPI
requirement is 7.0 (on 10 point scale). For SC/ST/PwD candidates, there is a relaxation of 0.5 CPI or
5% of marks.
2. Students for admission into the Ph.D. Programs in Science departments must have a Master degree in
the relevant discipline with a GATE / UGC / CSIR / NBHM / NET score for admission with a minimum CPI
of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60% of marks). For SC/ ST/ PwD candidates, a minimum CPI of
6.0 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (55% of marks) with a GATE / UGC / CSIR / NBHM / NET score is
required for admission.
3. Students for admission into the Ph.D. Programs in Management Studies departments must have a
Master’s degree in Business Administration or Master’s degree in Engineering /Technology with a
minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60% of marks) or Master degree in other
disciplines with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60% of marks). For SC / ST / PwD
candidates, a minimum CPI of 6.0 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (55% of marks) is required. A score
in NET / GATE / UGC is required for all.
4. Students for admission into the Ph.D. Programs in Humanities and Social Sciences(HSS) Department must
have a Master’s degree in any field with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60 % of
marks) or Master degree in other disciplines with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent
(60 % of marks). For SC / ST/ PwD candidates, a minimum CPI of 6.0 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent
(55 % of marks) is required. A score in NET / GATE / UGC is required for all.
5. Candidates appearing for final year ME / M.Tech/ MSc/ MA/ MBA are also eligible to apply. However,
their final result must be published on or before the publication of the provisional selection list
Eligibility for application in
1. Students for admission into Ph.D. Programs in Engineering Departments must satisfy one of the following criteria: M.E./M.Tech. or equivalent in an appropriate area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60% of marks). For SC/ST/PwD candidates, a minimum CPI of 6.0 (on a 10 point scale)or equivalent (55% of marks).
2. Students for admission into the Ph.D. Programs in Science departments must have a Master degree in the relevant discipline with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60% of marks). For SC/ST/PwD candidates, a minimum CPI of 6.0 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (55% of marks) is required.
3. Students for admission into the Ph.D. Programs in Management Studies departments must have a Master’s degree in Business Administration or Master’s degree in relevant disciplines with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60% of marks). For SC/ST/PwD candidates, a minimum CPI of 6.0 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (55% of marks) is required.
4. Students for admission into the Ph.D. Programs in Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) Department must have a Masters degree in any field with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (60 % of marks). For SC / ST/ PwD candidates, a minimum CPI of 6.0 (on a 10 point scale) or equivalent (55 % of marks) is required.
How to Apply of Admission PhD programme 2021 NIT Silchar
The applicants can apply for the PhD program through the online application portal available at
Application Fee Rs.500/- (for Open / OBC) OR Rs.250/- (for SC/ST/PwD) must be paid via online payment.
Steps for online payment is as follows:
2. State Bank Collect (SB Collect).
3. Accept and proceed.
4. State of Institute> Assam.
5. Type of Institute> Educational institute> Go.
6. Educational Institutions Name> Select online fee collection account NIT Silchar> Submit.
7. Select payment category as “Application fee for PhD Admission 2021”.
8. Fill the required information and submit.
The payment reference number and date of the payment to be mentioned in the online application form, otherwise
the application form will be treated as cancelled.
Important Dates of Admission PhD programme 2021 NIT Silchar
(i) Last date of submission of form to the Institute. : 2nd July, 2021.
(ii) List of short-listed candidates to be uploaded in the institute website : 9th July, 2021.
Candidates are requested to check the institute website regularly for updates.
Apply Online CLICK HERE
Official Notification Download
Join us on Telegram for latest update SUBSCRIBE